The term curation or content management is not very popular, although it has been in existence for a long time. Curating content is a task in which you have to find, organize, filter, and add value to the information so that it can later be shared with an audience. It is a fundamental tool to ensure the success of any content marketing strategy for your brand. Nowadays, staying up-to-date on the network is essential for any business that wants to retain a relevant position in the market. The management or curation of content in addition to supporting the marketing sector also fulfills the function of eliminating the “noise” of the information on the web.
The information is available on the Internet and users can access it through social networks, websites, blogs, or through marketing emails. But to achieve the goals you want through content distribution, you need to know how to organize your content.
In fact, knowing what type of content is right, both for your company and your target audience, is critical. There are many steps in the content curation process, but they are usually related to segmentation and filtering.
1. How to manage or curate content?
Remember that every second information is updated online or new information is added. This content can be in video, text, image, etc. format, reaching the audience through different channels. But how can you make sure your content stands out from the crowd and thereby captures the attention of your target audience?
This is where content curation becomes critical. In addition to dividing and selecting the content to be transmitted, the tool also allows the recipient to specify the context of the importance of this information. To learn how to edit content correctly, there are some steps to follow:
Define the objective
- The collection of information, either with your own knowledge or through consultation on the web, must meet the general objectives of your company. In addition, it must be in the public interest, so it is necessary to fully understand their needs.
- The next step is the organization or curation of quality content, this will be the one that will create the right material for your audience, so you should do thorough research. This procedure aims to monitor news, articles, graphics, videos, directories, and other types of information sources and to identify the best, most reliable, and valuable sources of information for the public.
2. Digital tools for curation and content management
In the past, this process was completely tedious and manual, but today there are online tools and platforms:
- BuzzSumo: it is a must-have tool for organizing content. This site supports the analysis and filtering of relevant content by the topic query. To understand the importance of BuzzSumo in content management and curation, it should be noted that it is one of the most used tools by IBM and Yahoo. How does it work? BuzzSumo selects the results for each keyword searched based on the number of posts and backlinks for each article and news story. These factors measure and calculate the impact of each object on the Internet.
Its functions are very intuitive. However, its free version barely shows the first results and doesn’t show a lot of shared data for all of them. With the paid version, additional services may be available. For example, comparison of links and the identification of topics with increasing search trends. In addition, the tool allows you to know the main sources of opinion on social networks for each specific topic.
- Pocket: Saves the items you find online. It works on computers, smartphones and tablets on these works as an application. It’s an easy tool to use and keep your content lists up to date.
- Alternion: contains in a single space the activity of more than 200 social networks and emails. It is a free tool.
- Buffer: What makes it different is its ability to analyze users’ posts and project its reach through retwets or mentions.
- Everypost: to curate content, personalize it by publishing it on social networks. This application allows you to send multimedia content to platforms such as Instagram and YouTube. Compatible with Android and iOS systems
- Flipboard: it is similar to a magazine and has different sources. Allows connection with Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twiteer. It is a free application.
- Hootsuite: the application has a mobile version and facilitates the curation of content on the most popular social networks (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) also works with WordPress and MySpace.
The amount of information collected in the previous step is high. Therefore, once you have collected the necessary information, you must check the suitability of this information, that is, make a filter. It is important to have a precise meaning. That is, it is located in the context of reality and important issues today. While it sounds simple, it’s a task that, if done correctly, can be time-consuming.
Here you must, if necessary, adapt your publications to the language or vocabulary of the user, and make adjustments in the format of the publication, taking into account the moment in which the publications are read, among other aspects.
Then, select the most appropriate distribution channels for that content. Social media is a very effective means in this process. Some of the most relevant are Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and others.
5. Measurement and optimization
Pay attention to the comments they make on social networks to discover different ways to measure the results of your content and devise strategies to improve it.
6. What are the advantages of doing content curation or management?
- Better selection of websites: Since this content is very relevant, it increases the likelihood that users will share it and therefore rank it on Google.
- Branding: If people see value in the content you share, they’re likely to contact you for more information. In this way, you can become a reference for one or more specific topics.
- Networking: finding people on the web who are interested in the same topics as you is an element that you can take advantage of to grow your network of contacts.
7. What should you avoid in content curation?
Not setting clear goals early on: Do you want to educate your audience? Attract a new niche? Increase your online reputation? By being clear about these points before you start curating your content, it will be much more likely that your strategy will get the results you want.
Include irrelevant content: Is your content really valuable to your audience? Pay special attention that the content you share adds value to your audience
Always use the same sources: many times this mistake is made, being too vague to dig a little deeper and investigate other sources. If you do, you can give the impression that you are doing promotional marketing on the sites you frequent. Therefore you should diversify your search sources: social networks, blogs, etc. Try to find original, reliable, and up-to-date sources.
The curation or management of content requires work and dedication since the information is constantly updated and you must provide relevant information on topics that are important to your brand or company. By doing proper content curation, your site or page will have relevant information and your audience will grow.
What tools or techniques do you apply for the curation of your site’s content? Leave us a comment to know a little more about you.
You may also like: